log in
sign up or:

By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Rake - Billiard Term Definition

Welcome to the billiard, pool, and snooker glossary of terms. This is the definition of Rake as it relates to cue sports. You can also view the entire billiard dictionary

Definition of Rake

Rake is a billiards slang term that is a part of Billiard Accessory Terminology.

A rake is slang term for a mechanical bridge. A rake would be used in such a situation where the shooting player can not comfortably use his or her own hand bridge as it would be too awkward. The mechanical bridge may be called a rake because it looks similar to an actual rake.

See: goose neck rest, cross rake, jigger, swan rest, goose neck, spider rest, hand bridge, bridge hand, bridge, mechanical bridge, crutch, bridge stick, rest, spider, hand chalk, closed bridge, open bridge, granny stick, cross, swan for more on the meaning of "Rake".

Rake - Usage

Where is the rake? What the heck is a rake? The correct term is mechanical bridge.

Billiards - Rake

  • Title: Rake
  • Author: (Billiards Forum)
  • Published: 3/13/2006
  • Last Updated: 12/28/2007 9:49:52 AM
  • Last Updated By: billiardsforum

Rake Comments

  1. TommyGTommyG from FL, United States on 10/11/2015 4:15:48 PM

    Are there any tutorials on using a, "rake," shooting pool?

  2. CourtcaseyCourtcasey from WA, United States on 3/17/2016 2:10:21 PM

    I noticed that there are some billiard rakes that you turn upside down and they have a curved semi-circle edge. I am wondering if you could put your jump cue into it so that you can use one hand to reach jump shots that are far away? Does anyone ever do this?

Submit New Billiard Term or Suggest a Correction

You can suggest a new billiard term and it's definition here. If you are suggesting a correction for an existing term, enter the entire definition as with your corrections incorporated.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only