log in
sign up or:

with google or facebook


By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Help Needed to Identify Old Pool Table with Monarch Cushions

Help Needed to Identify Old Pool Table with Monarch Cushions

Can anyone help me identify this old pool table?

The name plate plaque suggests that only the cushions are from the Brunswick Balke-Collender Co.

Re-Furnished with the Celebrated Monarch Cushion The Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co

A few other notable characteristics which might help identify the pool table:

  • It has 3 sections of slate,
  • it measures 110" x 60" (outside to outside) and 100" x 50" (cushion to cushion),
  • the pockets are leather,
  • the inlaid dots appear to be mother of pearl, and
  • the ball return tracks are dovetailed.

This serial number is stamped into the wood of one of the tracks, and reads


Here are some photos of the pool table:















Help Needed to Identify Old Pool Table with Monarch Cushions

Replies & Comments

  1. ChrisAndersonbilliardsforum on 1/20/2022 3:21:34 AM

    It appears to be a Brunswick Madison pool table from the 1920s.

    See also:

    Here are the photos from the 1923-1924 Brunswick Balke-Collender Co. catalog:



  2. ChrisAndersonChrisAnderson on 1/20/2022 7:01:45 AM

    The Brunswick Madison model does look very, very similar to the pool table I have. However, mine has a rail system underneath for ball return, not drop pockets.

    Would they have made variations of the Madison model? It seems unlikely someone would have added it. The ball return tray is sort of unique looking, and the mechanism is missing.

    I think it could be possible that this pool table is from the 1930s or earlier.

    The wood and the construction seem very old. Like, the way the back of the leg is routed so as to insert the bolt.

  3. ChrisAndersonbilliardsforum on 1/20/2022 8:36:09 AM

    Yes, the Madison model was made between 1916 and 1924.

    Ball return systems were an optional feature on Brunswick Balke-Collender Co. pool tables of that era. That's probably because the models of this era could be ordered in both "carom" (pocket-less) and "pocket" versions, and the ball return system wouldn't be necessary in the "carom" version at all.

    Brunswick called them "gutter and pocket trough attachment" The tray is the "pocket trough" and the system of rails under the slate is the "gutter" system. They could also be purchased after-the-fact (as an "accessory") and installed by the owner.

    The pool table models were almost never pictured with the return and tray system, but most of the catalogs had a full page dedicated to the option. For example, from the 1921 catalog:


    Here's an example of a similar model pictured with and without the tray option (the "Monroe"):



  4. ChrisAndersonChrisAnderson on 1/20/2022 8:41:36 AM

    Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I really appreciate your help and explanation.

    I don't know much about pool tables, obviously, but am interested in knowing what I have. It needs some cleaning up, but I think it's probably in pretty good condition.


  5. ChrisAndersonbilliardsforum on 1/20/2022 8:50:22 AM

    Any time!

    If you follow the two links to previous questions about this model in my first answer above (under "See also:"), you'll find answers which list the construction details and other technical specifications which may be helpful.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

log in or sign up

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.


Help Needed to Identify Old Pool Table with Monarch Cushions

  • Title: Help Needed to Identify Old Pool Table with Monarch Cushions
  • Author: (Chris Anderson)
  • Published: 1/19/2022 4:29:14 PM
  • Last Updated: 1/20/2022 3:04:44 AM
  • Last Updated By: billiardsforum (Billiards Forum)