Dead Ball - Billiard Term Definition
Welcome to the billiard, pool, and snooker glossary of terms. This is the definition of Dead Ball as it relates to cue sports. You can also view the entire billiard dictionary
Definition of Dead Ball
Dead Ball is a billiards term that is a part of Billiard Technique Terminology.
In a billiards context, dead Ball has several meanings depending on the context.
In reference to a cue ball, dead ball refers to a cue ball which has come to a complete and immediate stop after striking its intended object ball. The dead ball effect is achieved through strikingly cue ball in such a way that when it strikes the object ball, it's complete amount of energy is immediately transferred. This occurs when the player executes a stop shot. You will generally hear "stop shot" used more commonly than "dead ball" in this context. See also dead ball shot.
In the game of ScratchBall Billiards the dead ball is the off-colored ball e.g. normally a red ball. It is equivalent to the 8 ball in the game of eight ball billiards. When using a standard set of billiard balls for playing ScratchBall billiards, the 8 ball is used as the dead ball.
In reference to the set of billiard balls being used during a game of pool, dead ball refers to any one of the balls (or all of the balls) which have been pocketed already. According to Billiards Forum member Rod, the dead balls mean all of the pocketed balls which are no longer in play e.g. they are "dead", as opposed to the live balls which are the balls which remain on the pool table and in play.
See: stop shot, live balls for more on the meaning of "Dead Ball".
Dead Ball - Usage
- I just know Don is going to pull a dead ball shot on the cue ball. The funny thing is that he is going to miss the shot and it is going to leave Allie with the best shot for the six.
- This is ScratchBall billiards we are playing so the the dead ball should be in the center of the rack.
- The 6 ball is a dead ball and you can't re-spot it back on the pool table.
Billiards - Dead Ball
- Title: Dead Ball
- Author: billiardsforum (Billiards Forum)
- Published: 4/3/2008 8:02:14 PM
- Last Updated: 10/19/2016 7:46:48 AM
- Last Updated By: billiardsforum
Dead Ball Comments
- Rod from CA, United States on 9/6/2013 5:12:39 PM
Personally, "dead balls" for me means pocketed balls; they are no longer in play, as distinguished from "live balls", the ones still to be pocketed.
Submit New Billiard Term or Suggest a Correction
You can suggest a new billiard term and it's definition here. If you are suggesting a correction for an existing term, enter the entire definition as with your corrections incorporated.