log in
sign up or:

with google or facebook


By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Pump Stroke - Billiard Term Definition

Welcome to the billiard, pool, and snooker glossary of terms. This is the definition of Pump Stroke as it relates to cue sports. You can also view the entire billiard dictionary

Definition of Pump Stroke

Pump Stroke is a billiards slang term that is a part of Skill Level Terminology.

A form of billiard stroke that, when executed, looks like the player is using an old-fashioned water pump e.g. the back hand is clearly moving in an up-and-down motion as though it were pumping water.

It is a term of exaggeration used when describing a player's up and down movement of the arm when stroking the pool cue, which is generally considered bad form, and is a problem that players try to correct in their stroke.

For example, Billy Incardona was telling Jimmy Rempe about "the new player he had seen" (Efren Reyes), Jim Rempe reportedly said in response:

Oh, he'a got an old pump stroke, He's nothing special. The pump refers to moving the cue up & down vertically, rather than just horizontally while stroking.

Also seen in text on billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html

Busty looks like he is using an old water pump when he strokes.

Pump Stroke - Usage

There goes Joe again banging around the table with his pump stroke.

Billiards - Pump Stroke

  • Title: Pump Stroke
  • Author: (William Hyde)
  • Published: 1/25/2017 7:14:37 PM
  • Last Updated: 1/26/2017 3:56:51 PM
  • Last Updated By: billiardsforum (Billiards Forum)

Pump Stroke Comments

There are not yet any comments. Please post one below. All comments are moderated.

Submit New Billiard Term or Suggest a Correction

You can suggest a new billiard term and it's definition here. If you are suggesting a correction for an existing term, enter the entire definition as with your corrections incorporated.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only