I know they did pool tables till at least 1929, but cant yet figure out how they fared in the depression.
449 Beacon is located on the south side of Beacon, between Hereford and Massachusetts Avenue, with 447 Beacon to the east and 451 Beacon to the west.
Lot 24′ x 112′ (2,688 sqaure feet)
449 Beacon was designed by Charles H. Davies and built in 1876 for Daniel Davies, one of four contiguous houses (443-445-447-449 Beacon), three built ca. 1872 and the fourth (449 Beacon) built in 1876.
Daniel Davies is shown as the owner on the original permit application, dated July 20, 1876, and on the final inspection report, dated December 29, 1876.
Daniel Davies and his son, Charles, were master carpenters. Daniel Davies’s daughter, Susan, was married to Grenville Temple Winthrop Braman, treasurer of the Boston Water Power Company, which owned much of the land in the northwest portion of the Back Bay, including the land where 443-449 Beacon were built. At the time they were built, they were the farthest west houses built on Beacon Street.
449 Beacon probably was the last house built and, by 1878, it had become the home of Daniel Davies and his wife, Amity Bacon (Hastings) Davies. They previously had lived at 445 Beacon. Grenville and Susan (Davies) Braman lived at 447 Beacon, and Grenville Braman’s brother, Jarvis D. Braman (who was president of the Boston Water Power Company) and his wife, Amelia (Finnegan) Braman, lived at 443 Beacon.
Daniel Davis died in June of 1878, and Amity Davies moved soon thereafter.
449 Beacon was not listed in the 1880 Blue Book.
By the 1880-1881 winter season, 449 Beacon was the home of Mrs. Anne (Lodge) Dorr, the widow of Alfred Dorr, and their unmarried son, Clarence Alfred Dorr, a stock and note broker.
They continued to live at 449 Beacon in 1882, but moved soon thereafter to a new home they had built next door, at 451 Beacon.
By the 1882-1883 winter season, 449 Beacon was the home of Oliver L. Briggs, a billiard table manufacturer, and his wife, Mary (Stone) Briggs. He is shown as the owner on the 1883, 1888, 1908, and 1917 Bromley maps.
Their son and daughter-in-law, Frederick Huntington Briggs and Ada Lena (Langley) Briggs, lived with them. Frederick Briggs was a billiard table manufacturer in his father’s firm and was president of the Boston Penny Savings Bank.
Mary Briggs died in February of 1903. Oliver Briggs continued to live at 449 Beacon until about 1917, when he moved to Newton.
Frederick and Ada Briggs continued to live at 449 Beacon. They also maintained a home in Auburndale. In 1920, Ada Briggs’s mother, Mrs. Anna E. (Taylor) Langley, widow of James H. Langley, lived with them.
Oliver L. Briggs’s Heirs are shown as the owner on the 1928 and 1938 Bromley maps and were the assessed owners through 1944.
Frederick Briggs died in February of 1936. Ada Briggs continued to live at 449 Beacon until about 1942, after which she lived at her home in Auburndale.
449 Beacon was shown as vacant in the 1943-1945 City Directories and was not listed in the 1942-1944 Boston Lists of Residents.
By 1945, 449 Beacon was owned by Israel Ramler, who was the assessed owner from that year through 1951. He was president of the State Electric and Lock Shop, and lived in Roxbury.
By 1945, 449 Beacon was the home of Mary E. Henry, who operated it as a lodging house. She previously had lived at 548 Newbury. She continued to live at 449 Beacon until about 1951.
By 1952, 449 was the home of Mrs. Bertha (Cohen) Miller, the former wife of Eli (Elias/Elijah) Miller, who continued to operate it as a lodging house. She was a social worker with the Massachusetts Department of Welfare, She previously had lived in Brookline. She was the assessed owner of 449 Beacon from 1952.
In May of 1954, the Joseph Vincent Realty Corporation applied for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from a lodging house into ten apartments.
Notwithstanding the change, Bertha Miller continued to live at 449 Beacon and operate it as a lodging house until about 1957, but moved thereafter to an apartment at 855 Beacon.
By 1960, 449 Beacon was owned by Ara Barmakian. In September of 1987, Diran Barmakian filed for (and subsequently received) permission to convert the property from ten apartments to nine apartments.
In May of 1988, Ara Barmakian converted the property into nine condominium units, the 449 Beacon Street Condominium.
The Briggs Family Home: