In a drunken stupor, we decided to start a race that will take a lifetime. First one to 5000 wins. So far this weekend he has 20 wins and I have 19. It's been a tight race so far, nobody has been more than 2 games ahead at any point.
Seriously though, it's already brought us closer together as friends. I recommend you all do the same...grab your best friend and start shooting.
- Bishop on 5/21/2007 10:23:16 AM
Haha awesome! 2024 will be your expected finish date.
- A-Train on 5/21/2007 11:40:21 PM
That's kinda what I'm saying. I anticipate 15 years for this. We've asked around and we've heard everything from 2 years up to 25 and everything in between.
I may start a website and document all of it.
- Bishop on 5/22/2007 9:58:45 AM
Actually that would pretty cool if you did. I'll check back to know how things go.
- A-Train on 6/1/2007 10:51:16 AM
As of right now he has me stuck 49 to 43.
We had a 7 hour session this weekend and I fell apart at the end and he took a bunch of racks from me. Oh well, still lots of pool left to be played.
- Bishop on 6/1/2007 11:39:06 AM
I'm not sure if there is enough time left for you to catch him.
- A-Train on 6/1/2007 3:05:06 PM
We were head to head up until I fell apart. I think I took a 3 game lead at one point and that was the most anyone was ahead until I lost it.
It's hard to believe that we've already played almost 100 games. We've only played like 3 or 4 times.
- Bishop on 6/2/2007 9:10:49 AM
Thats what I like about just two people playing. You can get through a ton of games in a quick time.
- A-Train on 6/4/2007 12:32:45 AM
We played some more today. He still has me stuck, but only 66 to 63 now. I was playing like total trash though.
- Bishop on 6/4/2007 9:32:40 AM
You ought to just change it to 100 ahead.
- A-Train on 6/4/2007 10:39:48 PM
No, we are determined to do this. If we did 100 ahead at this rate, it would go on for a lifetime.
We went out for a late night pool bender at about 1:00 AM. We just got home and I'm happy to report that I've taken back the lead. I now have 90 wins to his 88.
How is THAT for determination?
- Bishop on 6/5/2007 9:32:48 AM
Nice work. I should start something similar myself.
- A-Train on 6/5/2007 11:21:31 PM
Definitely do...it's been incredibly rewarding so far.
Hell, not that long ago my friend used to be a far superior pool player. Now I can say with much confidence that we are equals in this game.
We were talking about it last night. We determined that at some point we will be so good that we will have to amend our rules to alternate breaks because it will become a very lopsided match eventually.
- fultimebum on 6/17/2007 7:02:44 AM
A friend and I started a race to 1000 games for $20. That was about 18 Years ago. I think we shot about 200 games and then I moved away and so did he. But it was fun while it lasted. We figured it would cost us about $500 at least to win $20.
We were shooting at a neighborhood bar where the tables were $50 a rack. There was a card hanging on the wall on the side of the bar with our tally on it. I went into the joint years later and it was still there. The place has since closed down.
It is a fun thing to do if you have the time and love shooting pool.
- socal_admin on 6/18/2007 6:52:14 PM
I remember hearing about people playing chess in different countries by mail.
- A-Train on 6/19/2007 5:30:27 AM
I almost forgot to update y'all. We played a few nights ago, I took a big fat lead on him, something like 9 racks ahead. Then suddenly he lit up and started a torrential beat down on me. I'm still up, but only by one game. I'm at 110 and he's at 109.
I still can't believe it's this close after 200+ racks.
- Bishop on 6/20/2007 9:53:08 AM
Interesting to see the ups and downs. You should track the winning streaks too.
- A-Train on 8/29/2007 8:14:44 PM
Really good idea. I am taking some mental notes of this. I know it's been a while since my last update, but we've been playing here and there.
- 2007-06-28 - We were out shooting, but we were both distracted and ended early as he was on call for work and had to run. He is up 118-120 now.
- 2007-07-31 - I'm ahead now 130 to 126. We've both been so busy and haven't had time to play.
- Today - I had a really bad fall apart night a while back and he was up on me by like 12 racks. I was in a HORRIBLE mood due to some stress with my significant other and wound up blowing up at the table and giving him a monster lead. I've been chipping away at him, now I'm only down by 7 racks. The score as of right now is 160 to 153. I'm gonna git you sucka! LOL
- bomber on 8/31/2007 9:46:34 AM
Congratulations on your venture. Don't let your interest slide. You are right about forging a closer friendship this way. Sounds like a neat quest. Make sure that you play other opponents as well, or you game might actually slip by doing this long race. Playing different opponents is one of the best ways to increase skill.
- A-Train on 9/20/2007 3:04:40 AM
A few more updates:
- 2007-09-04 - I'm within striking distance now! We left off at 175 - 172. God god it feels good to have closed that gap.
- 2007-09-11 - Holy frickin' slapnuts, I'm ahead again! We only played for about an hour last night and I got over the hump. Score now is 180-178, I'm in the driver's seat again. That, my friends, is sticking tough.
- 2007-09-20 - We had a long set last night. I'm at 205 he's at 201. Over 400 racks over so far. It feels good. I can't believe we are still this close.
- djkx1 on 9/20/2007 1:10:30 PM
Time to kick it up a gear and lose this Klingon. Just keep your focus and use his weaknesses to your advantage. Good job.
- shark3149 on 9/20/2007 1:56:54 PM
I love to hear about this kind of thing. I think this just brings you and your buddy that much closer. I would have to think it helps your game as long as you always try your hardest to win each and every game.
- A-Train on 9/20/2007 6:18:15 PM
We both try hard to win. We are still as passionate about it now as we were from the start. We still encourage each other and tell each other when we hit good shots and run out a tough rack. Of course, we always gloat when we leave someone tough or hit that miraculous ball to get out.
- A-Train on 9/20/2007 6:21:04 PM
I looked great the other night. Very solid playing by me, which elevated him as well.
We are two completely different players overall, which is strange because he really taught me a lot of what I know. I've spent a lot of time playing alone and experimenting with the game and my stroke and it's really brought me to a different level than a lot of players. I try not to use typical patterns to get
to various shots.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, I want to know a multitude of them.
- A-Train on 9/26/2007 7:08:01 PM
He's up again, but only by 2. 238-240 now. Almost 500 games deep.
On another interesting note, we found a house that my pool table can fit in, so prepare for the onslaught of games now that it doesn't require any effort to get out and play.
I can't wait, I seriously can't. OMG
Finally I can have a beer and shoot pool in the comfort of my own freaking home again. Good lord, I couldn't be happier. We move in on like the 5th of October, so that will jump start our set something fierce.
- shexcpoolgawdess on 7/14/2008 12:36:34 PM
So as I was shooting yesterday in my garage with my fiance he decided he wanted to have a continuous race between the two of us. Then I started thinking about yours which you started awhile back.....how is that going for you?