Pool Playing Tips
Billiards is a tough sport to master, so we've put together a series of billiards tutorials for all levels of play from beginner to advanced. Here are the latest billiard and pool playing tips. More coming soon.
Pool Playing Tips
Billiards Forum is proud to present Pool Playing Tips, a growing billiard resource of pool tips, resources, lessons, drills, and tutorials all designed to help improve your billiard and pool playing skills and abilities. Check back often, as we'll be adding a few couple of lessons a week. If you would like to sign up for new lesson notification, enter an email address below, and we'll shoot you a quick email to let you know when one has been posted. Pool is based on your skill, the effort and the practice you put into it. It comes down to you.
- Multi-part billiard and snooker stances article by Matthew West.
- The largest Billiard Terms Glossary in the world.
- See the Billiard Terms Full List A to Z on one page.
Billiard Fundamentals and Basics
Pool playing tips for the beginner. Get started with these fundamental billiard drills
- 4 Tips to Help You Get Better at Pool
- Byrnes New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards
- Drill to Practice Position - "Personal Best 15-Ball"
- Playing on a Bar Table Versus a Big Pool Table
- Choosing a Shot When the Table is Still Open
- Basic Billiard Tips for Beginners
- Top and Bottom English for Beginners
- The Basics of Cue Ball English
- Billiard Goal Setting Helps
- How to Grip the Pool Cue
- Where to Grip the Pool Cue
- Gripping the Pool Cue
- Billiards Circle Drill
- Object Ball Frozen to the Rail
- Basic Tips for Playing Consistent Billiards
- Shot Making Pool Playing Tips
- Pool Cue Grip Technique
- Robert Byrne Instructional Billiard Video
Miscellaneous Pool Playing Tips
Lists the pool playing tips and billiard tips that don't fit neatly in any of the other pool playing tips categories.
- The Pool Player’s Guide to Snooker
- Common Fouls in 8-Ball Pool
- Four Ball Scramble Trick Shot
- Warm Up Fast for a Pool Tournament
- Taking Pool Playing Lessons
The Mental Aspects of Billiards and Pool
Pool playing tips to help you master the mental aspects of pool and billiards.
- Recognizing Pool Sharks and Dealing with Them
- Pool Game Distractions: How To Deal With Them
- Concept of Touch in Billiard Shot Making
- Billiard Practice and The Art of Improvement
- Preparing Mentally for Billiards
- Mental Preparation for Billiard Shot Making
Billiard Bank Shot and Kick Shot Techniques
Pool playing tips for making bank shots and kick shots.
- The Key to Accurate Bank Shots Using the Wear Line
- Timing Trick Shot Tutorial by Jamison Neu
- Billiards Diamond System
- Fantastic Five Masse Trick Shot
- To The Moon Masse Trick Shot
Billiard Shot Making and Shooting Tutorials
Pool tutorials around billiard shot making and shooting tips.
- Billiard Tutorial to Improve Your Stroke
- Pool Jump Shot Basics
- Tips for Jumping Balls
- Pool: Jump Shot Stance
- Billiard Stun Stroke Stop Shot Tips
- Billiard Stroke Drills of Rich Presley
- How To Hit the Cue Ball in the Middle
- Billiard Stance Body Positioning
- Billiard Pool Jump Shot Techniques
- Billiard Stance Tips
- Billiard Shot Stance
- Billiard Stance Head Position
- Billiard Stance Techniques
- Choosing The Best Shot
Aiming and Execution Tutorials for Billiards
Billiard and pool playing tips around shot making, aiming, and execution.
- Finding Your Dominant Eye
- Holy Light System
- Hal Houle Point and Pivot System
- Billiard Clock Aiming System
- Billiard Shot Aiming Technique
- Billiard Stance
- Pool Shot Aiming Drill
- The Straight On Shot Stance
Billiard Break Shot and Breaking Tutorials
Pool playing tips to help you master the art of the break shot.
- More Powerful Break Shot in Pool
- How to Break 9-Ball Billiards
- Billiard Break Shot Control
- Improve Break Shots
Position Play and Cue Ball Control
Learn all about controlling the balls to your advantage during your shots.
- Position Play Billiard Tips
- Billiards Position Play With Rails
- How to Put Spin on the Cue Ball
- 3-Ball Perfect Position Drill
- Cue Ball Control and Shape Drill
- Billiard Shot Planning
Speed and Billiard Ball Control
Billiard tips for controlling the speed or velocity of the cue ball when making shots.
- Billiards Concentration and The Stun Shot
- Stun Shot off the side Rail Drill
- Drill for Close Control of the Cue Ball
- Up Table Stun Shot Tips
- Accurate Stun Shot Drill
- Advanced Stun Shot Technique
- Controlling Standard Stroke Speed
- Object Ball and Cue Ball Control and Speed Drill
- The Finesse Stroke Speed
- All About How to do a Stun Shot
Application of Spin and English to Billiard Balls
Pool playing tips and billiard tutorials for using english and spin on the cue ball.
Safety Play and Defensive Billiards
Pool playing tips for safety play and defensive billiard play.
Pool Playing Tips
Pool and Billiard Instructional Articles and Practice Drills
Playing the game of pool is great fun and often very rewarding, however at times it is the most frustrating game of them all. There comes a time when every pool player requires help to progress that one stage further. The content on these pages at Billiards Forum are designed for just that.
If you have any articles or cue sport practice drills that you feel would benefit our websites visitors then please email them to us using the form below. You can also discuss coaching and practice plus get hints and tips from other players in our forums.
We are always looking for contributions, and will gladly post any tutorial, drill, or tip that readers suggest. If you have any pool playing tips, or wish to write an article on how to get better at pool, you can submit it for publishing using the form below. The work must be original and must be related in some way to cue sports.
We are open to anything that will help someone learn how to play pool. Don't be shy about submitting.
- Title: Pool Playing Tips
- Author: billiardsforum (Billiards Forum)
- Published: 5/1/2006 12:22:00 PM
- Last Updated: 3/11/2017 5:03:53 PM
- Last Updated By: billiardsforum
Pool Playing Tips Comments
- gangstur from Oakland, CA on 1/1/2009 11:24:03 AM
I am from Oakland, CA and I can play pool like a freaking pro, so screw these billiard drills.
- Jonathan Hayman from Colorado Springs, CO on 7/16/2009 5:17:07 AM
The day of the successful social pool player is fading. It is being supplanted by the idea of becoming a steadily learning and improving contender. This is a concept many miss completely when starting out in cue sports.
- JKM from India on 2/14/2010 10:37:39 PM
Your billiard tips are really practical and helpful. Thank you!
- Charlie from Allentown, PA on 4/25/2010 11:03:27 PM
In cue sports, practice alone does not make perfect. Proper practice does.
If you practice bowling ,archery, or billiards, or pool, or anything, if you are not taught the right way to do something it will never work regardless of how much you practice.
Once you know the proper way to execute your shots, the proper stance, and so on; only then can proper practice make perfect.
When I was in target archery and bowling, both of which I was above average in skill, had I only known a few more proper tips I could easily have run with the big boys. I practiced long but it was never good enough.
The lesson here, make sure you are doing proper practice when you practice billiards! These pool playing tips are a good start.
- Lance Bastrup from Lake Arrowhead, WI on 10/12/2010 4:02:00 PM
This is the best site I have ever seen regarding the game of pool. Like many that come here, I am serious about improving my game. I do not want to become complacent. I know this site has helped me, and I will continue to come here to go over the great tips for learning to play pool that this site provides.
Today I'm going to send a link to the Billiards Forum to the other pool players on my billiard league teams, most of whom are serious about the game. We need a lot more people to do this so that we can get more activity here. With such a rich compliment of billiard tutorials and such a well designed web site, I don't know why this site is not getting a lot more comments than they are getting now.
Coming from a marketing background I wonder if this site couldn't be promoted more by, or adopted by, one of the major sanctioning bodies, or possibly linked up with some of the major pool & game suppliers. The more participation we can get, the better off we all are.
Thanks for being there,
- Diluccia from Pittsburgh, PA on 6/23/2013 5:15:45 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the help with these pool playing tips. Keep them coming!
- Yun Storey from Philippines on 10/5/2017 12:04:43 AM
The pool playing tips are awesome.
- indianaslim from Richmond, IN on 9/24/2020 9:44:35 PM
I forgot how to win!
Reply and share your comments below: